But not this year.
Fuck the social media hype of #GOALS, or the rah rah, basic girl phrase of "NEW YEAR, NEW ME". Trust me, I've been there, and it fizzles quick. It's 2018 and its time to build, and if you truly want to gauge yourself - you're going to have to do more than just put it down on paper.
In order to avoid regressing to old habits and letting momentum die, I have taken it upon myself to truly hold accountable the goals I lay for the year, and I want you to do the same.
Here's my personal approach This is my first time trying this out. You may have your own approach, but hear me out, and perhaps you might find something useful. If not, then keep on with your bad self.
- Come up with a mantra or theme for the year.
- Come up with 1 - 2 MAJOR goals for the YEAR. Don't do more than that. It can be personal, career-oriented. For example: start a new business, compete in an Iron Man competition, date more, make a billion dollars, etc. This is where you need to dream BIG.
- Come up with monthly SUB-goals that support your MAJOR goals.
- Setup weekly MINI-goals that support your SUB-goals.
- Set aside about 30-45mins at the end of each week to create your plan for the following week.
- Set aside about 15-20mins daily to plan the next day.
If this seems too overwhelming for you, I created a spreadsheet that you can download here. It will help you keep track of progress as the days, weeks, months go by. If everything is not accomplished within that day, reevaluate those tasks that are driving your goals. Are they too much? Too broad? Does it really drive your goal? Etc.
Also, it's a good way to track how much time you're bullshitting or wasting.
If this is too tedious for you, then add "Get off the fucking couch" as one of your major goals for 2018, because no one is going to do it for you.